Group HSE Manager
- Tuesday, 19 April 2016
What does the role look like?
To create a health, safety & environmental policy and practice for all of the UK business to ensure that best practice procedures in accordance with legislative, stakeholder and business needs, are implemented and that a standard approach to HSE is implemented across the group. The role holder will take the operational lead for H&S at BBGR, Leicester, Horizon, United and Athlone, and be a Strategic lead for all of the Essilor UK sites. This role will also involve some infrequent European travel.
Previous experience in similar environments will be imperative to the success of this role.
What will you be doing?
The key to the success of the role will be your ability to work with stakeholders to identify opportunities for improvement and ensure these are achieved which are beneficial to all parties, as well as be proactive to ensure customer orders are progressed in a timely manner.
This is a full time position working circa 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday.
You will have proven ability, experience and knowledge of:·
- Represent the UK business at Group level and act as the point of contact with regulatory and third party organisations, and with internal conference calls with European colleagues, and ensure information is cascaded effectively
- Ensure that group reporting requirements of metrics are met by each business unit and reported in a timely manner to the Group EHS VP.
- Provide timely advice to senior management on appropriate strategies for health & safety management in all areas of the business and on the implementation of these strategies.
- Report to the senior management on forthcoming legislation that may affect the operations or systems of the company and suggest any changes required to systems or operating practice.
- Provide guidance to all staff as requested on health & safety matters in accordance with relevant (local) legislation.
- Ensure that the company health & safety management system is flexible enough to allow for regional and country variances but maintains compliance with all applicable standards.
- Successfully maintain certification to ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 in relevant UK businesses and lead on the transition to new standards (e.g. ISO 45001).
- Design and implement, in conjunction with local managers and leads, health, safety and environmental procedures for group implementation. Continually improve the approach of the HS&E function.
- Ensure that statutory inspections and schemes are identified and implemented for each site.
- Monitor trends within the organisation to identify areas of implementation of our systems that may require improvement. Where these are identified, you will suggest and implement changes to the systems or their application in line with the company change control process.
- Provide direction to the HS&E managers and site HS&E leads to give local advice to staff and managers throughout the business.
- Ensure all lost time accidents are suitably investigated.
- Conduct surveillance and audit of all business units to identify areas that require improvement and suggest mechanisms to achieve these improvements.
- Design and deliver training programmes in liaison with the Learning & Development Team to ensure health and safety competence. Ensure that managers and site leads have been trained to the correct level of competency to carry out their responsibilities.
- Implement risk and impact assessment programmes, audits and inspections to ensure a safe and environmentally effective workplace to reduce the risk of accidents, incidents and environmental impacts.
- Lead the health, safety and environmental steering groups and committees to ensure effective guidance, consultation and participation.
- Provide monthly business reporting and maintain appropriate information files.
What you will need to have?
We are looking for someone who can hit the ground running and who has strong credentials in evolving and fast paced environments.
The key to the success of the role will be your ability to work with stakeholders to identify opportunities for improvement, proven experience with de-risking HSE within multiple businesses and ensure these are achieved which are beneficial to all parties.
Knowledge and Experience
Skills and Abilities
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent
- IEMA Associate Certificate or equivalent
- Active member of IOSH Chartered or above (CMIOSH)
- Active member of IEMA Practitioner or above (PIEMA)
- Experience of working within a dynamic health, safety and environmental function gained in a multi-site manufacturing environment.
- Working knowledge of certified management systems, particularly ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001.
- A hands-on practitioner, experienced in implementing best practice.
- A self-starter with strong influencing skills, the ability to communicate effectively at all levels and the confidence to act decisively.
- A pro-active pragmatic, problem-solver who can work independently and as part of a team.
- An organised person who can plan effectively and prioritise workload across a number of business locations where requirements and approach may differ.
- A completer-finisher whose sense of achievement comes from resolution of problems.
- Strong ethical and professional values with the ability to balance regulatory demands and business needs.
- Budgetary experience
What will be on offer to you?
- Excellent bonus scheme
- Excellent holidays
- Pension scheme
- Sharesave Scheme
- Exceptional flexible benefits schemes
- To be proud to be part of a evolutionary cultural organisation which has a strong culture of CSR
Monday 12th September 2016